Sunday, October 21, 2012

Martial Arts: A Team Sport (and more)

I have been asked many times “Who do you feel is your biggest competition”. My answer, to most people’s surprise, is not another martial arts school. It is organized sports like soccer, baseball, football, etc. There are a few reasons I believe this, but one of the main ones is because they are considered team sports. Parents want to have their kids to not only stay active, but learn socialize and learn how to work as a team with other kids. I have even had kids stop their training because the parents wanted their child to have time for “team sports”.

When I started martial arts I totally thought it was an individual activity. It was one of the reasons I was drawn to it. I played other sports, and enjoyed them, but I felt better in an activity where I had the most control over my own progress. However, as I started to train, I realize it was totally a team activity. Yes, during a tournament, or a belt test it is ultimately your performance alone that determines the result. But the training partners you have as you work towards those goals have a profound impact on your results.

As I reflect I remember that my classmates were a great group of people. Every Time I messed up that technique my training partner took advantage and then respectfully corrected me. My classmates would praise me when I did well, and comfort me when I didn’t. They were the friendliest people, but would not hesitate to knock you upside the head when your guard was down. Only because they knew I would learn from it (eventually), and come back better.

So next time you are looking for a team activity, consider martial arts. The comradery that can come from it is something that, I believe, is more than a lot of other sports can develop. On top of that you have “coaches” that will challenge you to not just physically, but mentally as well. They will be there for you for more than just a season. And they will want to see you win in every aspect of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment